星期四, 7月 12, 2007

some thoughts of joining NCBC meeting in Taichung

Dear my fellow members:

This mail is from Emery.

I am in Taichung now and will like to share some thoughts with you all after attending one TM club meeting, New Century Bilingual Toastmasters Club, in Taichung.



Part-1

I should say I was glad to join an excellent and qualified meeting which I never had before. All the memebers are filled with motivation to achieve their goals in TM and have very good english ability for them to conduct each roler through the overall meeting. I heard three well-done speeches, and one of them was presented by Hubert You who will represent Taiwan to join the competion in USA. His speech should be called as a good example for all the TM memebers to follow up.


Part-2

As some of you expect to read the part-2 of Emery's thoughts about NCBC. Here it is!! ( I can not get into sleep. That is why I am still up until this moment.)

About speech session:
Speeches from both club are interesting and attractive. But performing ways in NCBC are much smooth with well-pronuciation. I must say that we still need to spend more time on english study and use each chance we could speak english efficiently and carefully. If you thought your writing isn't good, please develop a writing habit and pay more attention on grammatical usages. If you thought your pronuciation needs to be improved, don't feel bad to re-start learning how to prounce each word clearly.( There is a good way you can use by reading an article to someone and ask him/her to correct your pronuciation. ) I still believe practice makes everything better and better. And one thing, please never ever feel bad to speak wrongly or use improper words. Becasue that, people will know how to help you.

The other thing, the speakers on that night had read their manual well and knew what objects they needed to achieve. That is an very important thing for you to be able understand what/how you prepare your speech. And remember there are always three parts, open, body and conclusion, in your speech content. We should keep this in our mind. That way audiences could be able to follow your ideas logically. Besides, if you were not sure your speech construction is ok or not, please not hesitate to ask someone in our club or your friends for help. After they point out some mistakes, that will help you learn quickly.

About Toastmaster of evening/GE and Evaluators:
I believe you all understand these two main rolers are very important through our meeting. In NUBC, both members knew how to handle the tempo and interracted with audiences and speakers.I think that is not only they knew the funcation of these two rolers well, but also they have tried it for several times. In our club, I find that members are lack of motivation to try something new. If you were asinged to do any roler, you should spend some time to think about what/how I want to do it. Asking/watching someone at the meeting or imitate other members can be an efficient way for you to learn. Therefore you will always be ready for any assingment.

Remember what is your motivation always, it will give you lots of energy to pursue your dreams. For my experience, I spent much time reading TM materials which helped me improve my reading comprehension and let me understand what is TM for. So I can say that you don't really need to spend extra money to buy other english materials, rather than using TM materials. That is the double ways for you to sharpen your english ability and get to know more about TM. Morevoer, I think that is not always officers' responsibilities. As long as you are one of members of this club, you have to know about. Otherwise, why do we speand time here, right?

These are some thoughts I want to share with you all. Hope you will be interested in reading this mail. Here I don't really want to focus on speaking skills, because that depends on time and your experiences.

What is your motivation? Please always think about it!!

1 則留言:

Valerius Lee 提到...

昨天我在RedHill也安排強者演講。然後一群平時少做演講的強者都要參加下次演講。
所以我想不用覺得我們差太多,年度開始我們是不如別人有那麼多強者。但他們不會常做演講,接下來的長時間他們Club裡面每個人都要上場。差距就沒那麼大了。
不過寧願把別人想得很強才能求進步。所以我這個意見我也不會和別人說,就讓大家見賢思齊去努力好了。